Dr. Jennifer Shapiro
Jennifer Shapiro, PhD is a licensed clinical psychologist in California (#22739). She is one of the few clinicians that have expertise in the treatment of Eating Disorders AND Obesity. Prior to moving to San Diego, Dr. Shapiro was an Assistant Professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Department of Psychiatry, Eating Disorders Program, where she held a caseload of patients, who struggled with various types of eating disorders, across all levels of care including inpatient, partial hospitalization (day patient), and
outpatient programs. While at UNC, Dr. Shapiro developed scientifically based group programs for Weight Management, Bulimia Nervosa, and Binge Eating Disorder and has trained graduate students and medical residents in the treatment of eating disorders and obesity.
Prior to staring everyBody Behavioral Health, Dr. Shapiro was the Scientific Director at Santech, Inc in San Diego, CA, where she directed research studies on the use of mobile and wireless technologies (e.g., text messaging, building Internet treatments) to enhance treatment for health-related conditions, mainly weight management. Throughout her career, she has published numerous scientific papers on disordered eating and annually presents at international conferences. Dr. Shapiro served on the executive board for the San Diego Chapter of the International Association of Eating Disorders Professional Foundation (IAEDP) from 2012-2017 . IAEDP also recognizes Dr. Shapiro as a Certified Eating Disorders Specialist, a recognized award.
Dr. Shapiro is a member of the following professional organizations:
- Academy for Eating Disorders (AED)
- The International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals Foundation (IAEDP)
- International Eating Disorders Referral Organization (EDREFERRAL)
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
- The Obesity Society (TOS)
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
Education and Training
- Dr. Shapiro completed her PhD in Clinical Psychology in 2004 from the University at Albany, State University of New York under the mentorship of Dr. Drew Anderson. She began to specialize in Eating Disorders and Obesity at the start of her doctoral program in 1999.
- Dr. Shapiro completed her clinical internship at Duke University Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences in Durham, NC in 2004. At Duke, Dr. Shapiro worked in various disordered eating clinics including: The Duke Eating Disorders Program, Structure House, Inc., and the Weight Loss Surgery Program.
- Dr. Shapiro completed a 2 year postdoctoral fellowship at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, Department of Psychiatry, Eating Disorders Program. At UNC, Dr. Shapiro trained under renowned Dr. Cynthia Bulik, expert in Eating Disorders and Obesity. Upon completion of her fellowship, Dr. Shapiro was promoted to faculty in the Department of Psychiatry and held this position until 2009 when she relocated to San Diego.
I enjoy spending time with my young daughter as well as my large family, including 8 nieces and nephews who all live in San Diego. I also have fun hosting dinner parties for friends in my home, taking pictures, and scrapbooking. Traveling is one of my passions, and I appreciate experiencing different cultures and my goal is to visit as many countries as possible. I adore animals and can’t wait to get another dog.